Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
The Lemon Poppy Seed Donut Mix makes a fantastic breakfast loaf. It's the perfect solution for brunches!
This loaf is made with one package of donut mix in a standard loaf pan and serves 6-8 people.
What you'll need:
- One box of Lemon Poppy Seed Donut Mix
- A standard loaf pan
- Oil, water, and your favorite butter, per the instructions in the mix box
- Spray oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray the inside of the loaf pan with the spray oil and set aside.
3. Make the donut mix batter per the direction card in the box.
4. Pour the batter into the pan and give the pan a little shimmy to level it.
5. Put the pan in the oven and set the timer for 28 minutes. At 28 minutes, test the cake with a wooden toothpick* for crumbs. If the toothpick does not come out clean, set the timer for another few minutes and test again with a new toothpick. I baked this loaf for 30 minutes here in Denver (5400 ft).
6. While the loaf bakes, make the icing per the instructions. Cover the icing and set aside.**
7. Once the loaf is done, remove from oven and let cool in pan on a cooling rack. Once completely cool to the touch, turn out of the pan and put on cooling rack to ice.
8. To keep the loaf extra moist, apply a light layer of icing over the entire surface like you were frosting a cake and then drizzling the remaining icing over the loaf.
9. Transfer to a plate or platter and slice.
10. If not serving right away, store the unsliced loaf in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Remove, slice, and left sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving.
*I like Diamond Flat Toothpicks for this. They are cheap and relatively unfinished. Just throw them in the compost when you're done!
**You may need to add a little water to the icing if it has sat for a while. Start with a 1/2 a teaspoon and stir. Add in 1/2 teaspoon increments until you reach your desired consistency. For cake, you'll definitely want it a bit thicker that you might for donuts.
***You might find it easier to bake the loaf a day ahead of time and assemble it day of. Simply refrigerate the unsliced and unfrosted loaf in an airtight container after it has cooled completely.